Monday, April 5, 2010

HABITS

I had gotten into the habit of "blogging" almost daily and I loved it! I received some great feedback, had many followers....but then my computer broke, I went skiing, saw a movie, etc, etc. Oh, I've got even more excuses, but the bottom line is that I just got out of the habit of doing it....but I'm back!

And in the last few months, I've developed some really good habits that I'd like to share with you because Spring's here and we're all trying to get into shape.

While I'll never, ever again wear an itsy teeny, weeny yellow polka dot bikini, I still want to look good at the pool. So, I was determined this year to lose weight and I'm thrilled to say I'm doing quite well at it. I've lost 10 pounds since early January and I attribute it all to 2 things....my IPOD touch and the MAYO Clinic Diet Book.

You might wonder what an IPOD Touch is, let alone how it helped me lose weight, but seriously, I give most of the credit to my IPOD Touch and the free "Lose It!" application . Using that application, I set weekly weight loss goals, but most importantly it forced me to write down everything....every bite, every M&M, every coke....that I consumed daily. I became religious about it (my best habit) and once I hit the magic number of around 1150 calories a day I knew I couldn't eat any more.

Then the MAYO Clinic Diet Book forced me to become more aware of "portion control" and measure everything I eat. It also introduced me to 5 new habits and showed me how to break some of my bad eating habits. Just go to any restaurant and you can see that we Americans are out of control when it comes to how much food is put on our plate and what we end up eating. I've become a fanatic when it comes to measuring. I'm not done yet as I'm going use my new found habits to lose that last 5 pounds.

............and how about you? What new habits would you like to form?
Just remember that it takes at least 21 days for a habit to take effect.
For additional tips on how to form good habits go to:
www.eruptingmind.com/forming-new-habits

No comments: