Thursday, September 13, 2012

Alaska - The Glaciers

The #1 attraction for me in going to Alaska was to see the glaciers so we booked an inside passage cruise. And I certainly wasn't disappointed!   It was really cool as to see the Hubbard Glacier and numerous, small ice flows in the water.

I liked that the ship stayed in Glacier Bay for an hour so we could take time to enjoy the natural beauty. And we were so lucky because that day we had the best weather of the trip and could sit on the deck and balcony and enjoy the breathtaking scenery!

While in Juneau we hiked to the Mendenhall Glacier. I was stressed out because the Forest Ranger told us that there had been some bear sightings that morning so I felt like my head was spinning on a lazy susan looking all around for the bears!

The shots of the glaciers below were taken on a prior trip by my friend, photographer Sam Markman. He did a phenomenal job of capturing the intense coloring and stratification in the glaciers.
For additional shots of this spectacular area, check out his work:
http://szmarkman.zenfolio.com/p877784342

No comments: