Tuesday, September 18, 2012

DAY 5 - Scenic Oregon

At this age, having been around the block once or twice, it's really hard to do something new for the first time. But today was an exciting exception because I took my first dune buggy ride over the massive sand dunes near Florence OR. It was so thrilling that at times I felt like I was on a roller coaster ride.

I hesitated going because of the sign warning customers: "If you're pregnant or have a bad back you should reconsider going". While I don't have to think twice about being pregnant, I often suffer from back pain. But I'm so happy I went for it because it was such a fun experience.  http://newoh.ohwy.com/progs/mm.cfm?x=132377
So how about you? When's the last time you did something for the first time?

We ate dinner this evening in the rustic main dining room of the majestic Crater Lake Lodge where we're staying. We were offered several tempting main course choices and I had the chicken with tomato/pesto chutney which was cooked perfect.


The historic Lodge originally opened in 1915 was designed to resemble a European hunting lodge and it definitely does with several huge stone fireplaces and rustic and mission style furniture. The National Park Service assumed ownership in 1984 and with a $15,000,000 total renovation, the Lodge re-opened in 1995 total restored to its original splendor.  http://www.craterlakelodges.com/

Breathtaking Crater Lake with a depth of almost 2,000 feet is the deepest lake in the U. S. With its surrounding cliffs, pure blue color and volcanic past, it's one of the most photographed lakes in the U.S. The lake lies inside a volcanic basin created when the 12,000 foot high Mount Mazama collapsed over 7,700 years ago following a large eruption. In May 1902 Crater Lake became our Nation's sixth National Park. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crater_Lake

For more info on the National Parks Service:  http://www.nps.gov/crla/index.htm


I have found the pristine natural scenery of Oregon and especially the Crater Lake Area so beautiful that I definitely recommend you add a visit here to your Bucket List!

No comments: