Thursday, June 13, 2013

Attacked by my Microwave!


There are numerous articles and statistics to support the theory that over 75% of accidents happen right in your home and I certainly have helped to prove that theory.
I’ve had a few accidents in my home and until this microwave incident; the oddest accident happened when I fell while trying to get out of my recliner and broke my right foot.   While it hurt a lot physically, I think more than anything it hurt my pride because I just felt so stupid and careless.   And since it happened in September (off ski season), I couldn’t even make up a good story, “like I was flying down a double-black diamond” when I lost control.

But nothing prepared me for the injury I suffered recently when I hit myself on the left side of my head while closing the microwave door.  Yes, I know, it’s hard to picture that happening, but my microwave is elevated above the stove and again while hurrying, I slammed the door into the left side of my head.  I didn’t think much about it until 2 days later when I suffered severe episodes of vertigo. 

After much research and talking to nurse Ginny (my sister), I discovered I was suffering from BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) which is caused by the crystals in your inner ear being knocked loose.  See http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vertigo/DS00534/DSECTION=causes

I had to go to a therapist for a canalith repositioning procedure during which I was rolled off the edge of a table to try and knock the crystals back in place.   It’s so dis-orienting, that I felt like I was being rolled around in a washing machine!  
While it’s not life-threatening, it’s devastating because before I experienced this, I hadn’t really thought much about how important balance it.   And as we get older one of our biggest fears is our loss of independence and I learned first-hand how your ability to stay balanced affects everything – walking, doing daily chores and especially driving.
So, learn from me and slow down because the therapist told me this is not an uncommon injury, especially for older people.    It's so hard for me to break those habits, as I've been a fast-paced, type A person my entire life.   Also, protect your balance by doing some strengthening exercises.  Check out http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/CardiacRehab/Strength-and-Balance-Exercises_UCM_307384_Article.jsp

It's a good time of the year to check out your home for potential accident areas, so for additional home safety tips, go to: https://www.westmetrofire.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/553

No comments: