Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Property Taxes


As we Boomers age, I think it's important not only to look for ways to make extra money, but also how to save it!

Most states reassess property valuations every 2 years and some even every year.

Have you noticed though that in the past 2 to 3 years, the Assessor's Offices have NOT dropped prices in proportion to what properties are really selling for?

I'm now working on my 2nd appeal in 2 years on my home. The first one resulted in a 10% per year tax savings for 2 years.

This time I'm really mad because I found out that many of my neighbor's received a 20% to 30% reduction in their tax bill, yet mine was only 3%. It's too complicated a story for here, but suffice it to say that I feel very strongly that I am being penalized for having successfully appealed my 2007 Valuation.

Take the time to review your property tax bills now!

When was the last time that your home was re-assessed to reflect the current low market values? If you don't know where to start, then go to the County Assessor's Office as all valuation data is public info and you can then get the comparison data you need to file an appeal.

Pay close attention to the Appeal deadline as most Assessor's Offices won't budge on it.
Gotta run as my Appeal is due tomorrow!

No comments: