Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Book Clubs

I love to read and was excited to discover that like most Active Adult Communities, mine has a book club. The club consists of 12 members who meet once a month with the hosting member selecting the book. Tonight the meeting was held at my home and since I enjoy knitting, I picked "The Friday Night Knitting Club" by Kate Jacobs. At right, is a picture of my table decorations and the baby blanket I just finished knitting for my niece Cindy. Just like a character right out of the book, one of our members showed up with her knitting and worked on her scarf during our discussion. I always find it interesting to hear what the other members have to say about the book and learn more about them as they reveal personal stories similar to events in the book. We had a lively discussion including what each of us felt was the main lesson of the book. To me, the book emphasized the value of having good woman friends and how at times, those friends are the only glue holding the threads of your life together. The theme of 'follow your dreams' was also central to the book as we see the strong female characters chasing their dream whether it's opening the knitting store, designing purses or making a film.

1 comment:

Jason Pfeifer said...

Greetings,

I was surfing today and stumbled upon your posting regarding book clubs. I'm one of the founding partners of Booksprouts.com

We are an online book club site that is free to join, and allows members to create a club, invite friends, create meetings, and to choose and read books together online. The service is still fairly new, and we are interest in getting feedback on it, as well as getting the word out to people that may be interested in the service. We welcome you to trying out the service free of charge, and welcome to you blog or write about it - good or bad - we appreciate all feedback that helps us improve the service for our members.

Thank you, and we hope you enjoy Booksprouts.com!

Please contact me directly with any questions or assistance.

Regards,

Jason Pfeifer
Community Manager
Booksprouts.com
jason@booksprouts.com