Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Chorus Line

I love the theater and my all time favorite play is "A Chorus Line" by Michael Bennett. It's a high energy show with unforgettable songs and fast-paced dance numbers so when I heard about the new documentary "Every Little Step", I just had to see it.

"Every Little Step" is a film about the process of selecting the dancers for the Broadway revival of "A Chorus Line". What makes it so interesting is that the film makers incorporated early footage from the '70s of Michael Bennett and the original dancers along with the stories of those recently trying out. It's the true-life story of the blood, sweat and tears that the dancers had to go through to get that Broadway gig. What surprised me the most is that the selection process for the revival took more than 18 months!

If you liked the original play, you'll enjoy the documentary. Check your local artsy theaters as it's not in wide distribution.