Friday, June 26, 2009

Computer Woes!


Most of us BOOMERs are comfortable with computers, but aren't knowledgeable about their inner workings.

If you're like me, then you just expect your computer to boot up the minute you turn it on...........and when it doesn't you panic!!

Again, I have some major computer problems which started late Wednesday evening, so I was up til 2:30 am Thursday trying to figure it out. I worked on it again all day Thursday and was pretty proud of myself as it seemed like I had restored most of my files.

But OH NO..........when I turned on my system this morning, it did not recognize me as the system's OWNER or Administrator. Instead, I'm just considered a 'temp user' which is pretty insulting on your own computer. Even worse, my entire hard drive was set up by Circuit City which is now out of business!

So, here's a few tips to help you avoid what I'm going thru:

1. Know who was set up as the primary system's USER and who has administrator control.

2. Learn how to manually restore your log on control as Administrator.

3. Learn how to re-store your system back to a date when everything worked. New computers do not come with a handbook but tell you that instructions and help are available online. I still haven't figured out how I'm supposed to look up help online, when I can't even log on. Drop me a line if you have!

4. If you have in-store personnel set up your new system, then have them give you in writing just what has been done to your computer; what programs are on it; and who's been given access.

I'm so frustrated as today I'm still working with limited access. I hope to have it fully operational by Saturday as one of my 'computer-type' friends is going to take a look at it.

If you need help, then call the Geek Squad who are available 24 hours a day. http://www.geeksquad.com/

P.S...........This is the 3rd time I've lost a hard drive.....so, thank God, at least this time, I have most of my files backed up on an external hard drive.

No comments: