It's not like when I was younger and just might be coming home at 4 am from a night of partying and dancing.
Or when I had a deadline at work and laid awake all night going over the details in my mind.
Dreaded insomnia -- one of the natural side-effects of the aging process has once again reared it's ugly head. It's not as if it happens every night, but when it does I just can't get back to sleep and it totally ruins the next day. So here I am at 4 am BLOGGING.
Some of the standard rules for dealing with insomnia are:
- Get exercise during the day.
- Make sure the room temperature and conditions suit you.
- Eat light meals, especially at night time.
- Avoid alcohol late at night.
- Accept that your body and sleeping patterns will change with age.
- Follow a routine. If you cannot sleep at night, don't force it, but make sure you get up at the same time every morning.
- Take a bath, read a book, do yoga, exercise and stay mentally and emotionally fit.
I follow most of those rules and still wake up in the middle of the night. So, if you do to, drop me a note and tell me how you get back to sleep!