Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Can't Sleep!

It's 4 am and I'm wide awake!

It's not like when I was younger and just might be coming home at 4 am from a night of partying and dancing.

Or when I had a deadline at work and laid awake all night going over the details in my mind.

Dreaded insomnia -- one of the natural side-effects of the aging process has once again reared it's ugly head. It's not as if it happens every night, but when it does I just can't get back to sleep and it totally ruins the next day. So here I am at 4 am BLOGGING.

Some of the standard rules for dealing with insomnia are:
  1. Get exercise during the day.
  2. Make sure the room temperature and conditions suit you.
  3. Eat light meals, especially at night time.
  4. Avoid alcohol late at night.
  5. Accept that your body and sleeping patterns will change with age.
  6. Follow a routine. If you cannot sleep at night, don't force it, but make sure you get up at the same time every morning.
  7. Take a bath, read a book, do yoga, exercise and stay mentally and emotionally fit.

I follow most of those rules and still wake up in the middle of the night. So, if you do to, drop me a note and tell me how you get back to sleep!

No comments: