Monday, January 19, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire


I first heard of "Slumdog Millionaire" when I worked the Denver Film Festival last November. It was the talk of the Festival but I didn't get to see it as all showings were sold out. Then last week it became the must-see movie and an OSCARS front-runner after winning 4 Golden Globes including best picture.
I finally got a chance to see it today and wasn't disappointed. Through flashbacks, this movie reveals to the viewer a true love story. It also covers a wide spectrum of societal ills including greed, sibling rivalry and crime. It's truly a fascinating story where the life-changing events of Jamal's poverty-stricken childhood uncannily provided him with the knowledge needed for his appearance on the Indian version of the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" TV Show.
WARNING: There are a few torture scenes in the movie which I found very disturbing.
For a more detailed review:

No comments: