Friday, November 14, 2008

My Love Affair

It's not what you think! Today I had planned on writing about Egypt, but it snowed here last night which made think about my passion -- skiing! I've been skiing since my first trip to Chestnut Mountain Lodge in Galena Illinois in 1969; so in January 2009 I will celebrate my 40th anniversary. I fell in love with skiing on that first trip, even though we had many mishaps, the weather was freezing and I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I just knew that I loved being on the mountain and the joy of flying down the slope; well,it was the most incredibly free feeling. Then in January 1970 I skied in Winter Park Colorado and that hooked me forever. I vowed that someday I would live in Colorado and have since 1999.
Skiing has brought so much adventure and joy to my life. In 1988, I accepted a job in Heidelberg but my heartfelt reason for that major life change at age 40 was so that I could ski Europe. I was scared as I had never lived anywhere but St. Louis. I joined the ski club which was a great way to meet new friends. I'll never forget my first trip to Club Med in St. Moritz Switzerland (pictured above). What a thrill -- skiing in one of the most exclusive resorts in the world! Every weekend was a new adventure - skiing in Switzerland, Italy, Germany, Austria and France! Skiing also brought out my altruistic side as starting in 1986 I became very involved with the National Sports Center for the Disabled in Winter Park Colorado. It brought true joy to my heart to be able to help out the kids both physically and financially. So what's skiing got to do with retirement --- plenty!! It's a challenging sport that will keep you in great physical shape, it's a fun way to meet new people and staying physically fit helps you mentally. Skiing is so popular with Boomers that we even have our own club -- the Over the Hill Gang! http://www.skibumnews.com/OTHG.htm

Oh, I've been married, divorced, several other long term relationships, but no passion has lasted as long as my love affair with skiing! Try it --- you might fall in love too.

No comments: