Friday, March 13, 2009

Have you backed-up lately?

Have you seen the “Sex and the City” episode where Carrie loses her hard drive? She panics! She hadn’t backed-up……she wasn't even sure what that meant!

I feel pretty computer savvy for a Boomer Babe, yet when my computer crashed in September 2007 I was just as guilty – no backups. You'd think I would have learned from the first time my computer crashed in 2004!

In 2007 at least I had a few files on discs but I was physically ill as I had lost several important files. Then it took me months to recreate what files I could, so once I got my new laptop, I swore I would always back-up.

This morning when I turned on my laptop, instead of the Microsoft Welcome tune, I saw a very weird message against a black screen and it seemed locked in a loop. Immediately, I felt a catch in my throat and thought “oh no, not again”. That would have been the 3rd time I lost my hard drive.

But, I was safe, rather than sorry! I had purchased an external hard drive when I got my new laptop. What a great invention! An external hard drive lets you backup important information separate from the main internal hard drive. You can store important files, DVD images and even a backup of the contents of your main internal hard drive.

How about you – are you like Carrie, just one crash away from losing all your files?
If so, then check out the top 10 external hard drives at:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/123728/top_10_external_hard_drives.html

No comments: